Choose a financial path and get started ~ Never Spend a Dime

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Choose a financial path and get started

That's what my grandmother would say if I were able to talk to her and tell her how confused I am about this whole debt situation. I'm one of those people who will read and research, read some more, and do a little more research before I decide to actually do something. And, sometimes, in the midst of all that reading and research, I get bored and move on to something else.

I bought Dave Ramsey's book about 6 weeks ago and have just skipped through some of the stories. I WANT to want to get out of debt, but it takes a lot more than that. My confusion comes in having believed most of what I heard Suze Orman say in the past (yep, I have her book, too).

Maybe it's not so much who's recommendation I follow, as long as I commit to a process and get started. My grandmother didn't have a library of financial books, nor did she listen to every business podcast out there or search the internet for the perfect answer. She just did. You know, just make a choice and do. If it isn't the perfect choice, at least I started and I'd have to be closer than further away.

3 comments:

debtfreesteve said...

It appears as though you have the latest edition, if so, My family is on page 116... I too had read Suze's book .. The nine steps book. Well, I think you can tell which one worked, for us. Ramsey's book is so easy to read, plus it's practical,and if you do the steps, it will work. Take the time to read it, shouldn't take more than 3 evening sessions. Suze worships the FICO score, and she gets paid by FICO to do so. My fico was higher, when I had all of the debt, as we get wealthier, it is steadily declining (because we don't borrow $ anymore! and won't need to ever again)

David said...

I used to use Quicken and be all proud that I was putting all my transactions in there and stuff. But then someone showed me that you don't have to track all that. You just have to focus on making more money all the time.

If that is your obsession, you'll find you won't spend enough to keep yourself in debt for long. Also, take money out to pay your debts before looking at anything like spending for leisure. Just get a better job, get a raise, get another job, or start a side biz(this is what I did) and bootstrap yourself out of debt. It's fun and there's so much out there for the taking if you're creative about it.

Steve Schoenly said...

I wouldn't worry too much about choosing a path. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a self-help junkie but I took a few books' advice to heart and followed what they said, and I think that's the best course. Don't worry too much about which path you take, because things can change. Suze is a good guide for some but I think she hammers away at some points that aren't too helpful. Debt reduction is almost always a good idea.